Consistency is the key to success in retail!
A successful retail operation is about consistency. Customers become comfortable with certain stores based on a number of factors: Ease of shopping, knowledgeable staff, product assortment, appreciation shown for their business and of course pricing is always a consideration. I purposely put pricing last because it is a factor, but it is not the primary reason people shop at an independent retailer.
Businesses sustain and grow for a number of reasons:
- They have a proprietary or unique product no one else has- a Pharmaceutical company
- A strong relationship with their customers that allows them to connect very deeply with them
- A business model that sets high standards and can be repeated every day to ensure consistency
The two points that apply to a retailer are about building stronger relationships and repeating high standards. So how do maximize the potential sustainability and growth of your business. Here are few ideas:
- Have clearly defined rules of behavior and how you want customers treated
- Allow your employees to challenge assumptions
- Indentify the sources of conflict and deal with them quickly
- Rely on facts and data – the bedrock of any good POS system
- Focus on the exceptions that matter, some are just not important.
- Empower your employees to resolve customer issues immediately